Xmas in a sweet shop !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas in a sweet shop !

Well thanks to Dave Zank I now have a SWB Marina based Roadster in the drive. I think the simile of a kid in a sweet shop at Xmas gives you an idea how I am today
    First impressions are very positive.
    Getting in and out is easier than expected - the trick for me is to sit on the running board first then hook legs in or out.
    Seating a little tight. I'm overweight but can feel my hip bones so I assume it's the same for a lot of people. In fact after sitting in the car, dreaming and making brum brum noises, I quickly stopped noticing lack of width. I suppose it's the Marlin equivalent of a corset - after a while your body adjusts to the smaller width !
    As expected head touches roof - I'm only 5'9 so can't imagine how a 6 footer must cope.
    MDF dash board is like cardboard that has been left out in the rain. Luckily I'm not fond of the Marina instruments and intended redesigning from scratch so not a problem. I've got the switchs out of my old Daimler Sovereign (1960's 420G type) as well as the aux instruments and pods from a Rover P5 coupe. Rather than column indicator switch I'll go with the spare dash item saved from my A35. Again in my spares box is a set of rear lights from the Volvo 1800S I broke for parts to fit my P1800 (Jensen built) that I believe are a straight fit on the Marlin. Still debating whether to fit the new chrome headlights I've had in the loft for ages instead of the fibreglass Marlin items. Then there is an autoclutch system (Mobility product as alternative to autobox) to fit as my left leg is weak.
    Among the paperwork with the car is original build instructions, Tech Tips, around 60 Pitstop, BL parts manual for Marina and old MOT's / receipts going back years so quite a history.

Paul h

Re: Xmas in a sweet shop !

Now the wallet emptying really starts!
    Sounds like you have bought well, history counts for a lot.
    P1800 rear lights, if original are quite a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Now the wallet emptying really starts!
      Sounds like you have bought well, history counts for a lot.
      P1800 rear lights, if original are quite a bonus.

I had two Volvo's - a 1962 P1800 and a 1966 1800S as a retirement present to myself to replace my beloved 1976 3.4 SII XJ6 that I had to sell as no longer could afford to run. The 1800S actually looked better than the P1800 but was full of filler and restoring one is E Type sort of money so it got broke for parts. I therefore know the lights are genuine
      FWIW for those who don't know the P1800 was British built by Jensen but proved to be poor quality so production moved to Sweden and identification changed to 1800S. A lot of people call them all P1800S but such a model never existed !

Paul H

Comment

Sounds good. Love to see a photo. regards Liz

Comment

Hi Paul

I have fitted P1800 rear lights to my Cabrio:

The GRP pods had to be widened to accommodate the width. Your Roadster will require the same.

In hindsight I would not do it again. The standard Marlin rear lights with stainless steel escutcheons look almost as good, and do not involve all the modifications.

Have you any idea of what your lights might be worth to someone in the Volvo club?
          Just the foam rubber seals are being advertised on ebay for $60. The light clusters themselves maybe up into the hundreds now!
          I remember mine being pricey 12 years ago - you never know, they might help your budget stretch a little further!

Mike
          Last edited by Mike; 25-01-14, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Hi Paul, I have just come across an early roadster fitted with steel 14inch rims, and large profile tyres. I am told that the rims had been from a( Montego) no spacers reqd ? Danny.

Comment

Marina wheels were 13mm (1/2") offset. From memory Maestro/Montego had 22 or 30 mm offset and yes there were 14" rims available, but 20 years since the Montego ceased production, the specification of wheels claiming to be 'Montego' on the second hand market could vary wildly from the originals fitted.
              It's really a case of buyer beware unless you buy from a reputable source like Midland. Any spacers will depend on offset and tyre profiles, but to add to the confusion, I have found some dramatic differences between tyres that claim to be identical in size and profile, so some might need spacers, some won't.
              Maestro/Montego had McPhearson strut front suspension so clearances for the steering upright were a different kettle of fish to the Marina.
              Did anyone say it was logical or easy?

Comment

Quick look shows both Montego and MGF owners seem to think they both used the same steel wheels. So a 14" MGF steel spare is the same as a Montego wheel. On another forum somebody says they used MGF spare wheels on the rear of their Marina estate without the need for spacers or any problem for quite a few miles but never tried them for size on the front. I'm taking what Steve says and that there would be clearance problems on he front but might get one to play with if I can find cheaply.
                Another idea is 15" x 5.5J BMW Mini steels with 3.75" to 100mm PCD adapters.

Paul H

Comment

It was just something I seen, but I did say they were on an early roadster this was Triumph. I have had a Marina based roadster with MG Montego alloys fitted I am sure you will find something suitable without any problem. There have been many good cars turned out for reasonable money.

Comment

See "MGF steel wheels" thread from a couple of weeks ago. Franklin.
                    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
                    X