De Dion rear axle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Dion rear axle ?

To narrow the prop tunnel I've been thinking that a fixed diff (like Triumph or Sierra) would advantageous. Many years ago I had a Volvo 340 that handled nice and had a De Dion rear axle. Such an axle would be easy to adapt to a Marina based as it mounts on leaf springs. No problem narrowing if necessary. The advantage would be less unsprung weight plus PCD change to 4 x 100mm. Panhard rod can be incorporated at the same time. Would give big choice of diff ratios and even LSD option. Obviously custom drive shafts would be needed. Volvo diff is a transaxle so couldn't be used.
    This is what the Volvo item looks like, minus drive shafts -

Anyone already tried this ?

Paul H
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 29-01-14, 10:25 PM.

Re: De Dion rear axle ?

The YKC cars used a modified de dion set up from the Sierra not sure how much more room that allowed in the tunnel though. I assume it also uses coil overs so a lot different.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

My Roadster is short wheel base (I'm 6'2") and Jaguar IRS with inboard discs. I have just removed the tunnel and started making a new slimline tunnel (around 4 inches wide and 5 inches high. I have got as far forward as the gearbox and now have to make new gearbox cover and work out whereto mount the handbrake, But it is much roomier now.

Comment

Hi Tony is that the Red Richard Harborne car with a V8??

Comment

This is the YKC arrangement for sierra. The axle has two sets of brackets at each end for the trailing links (top and bottom), another for teh coil over shock unit and a further baracket on top for one end of a panhard rod, the other end bolts to the chassis
          r0300288.jpgr0300289.jpgr0300290.jpgDSCF0081.jpg

Comment

Cameron have you a picture showing the suspension top mounting or the naked chassis?

Comment

The YKC beam looks interesting and makes me even more think modifying a Volvo 340 item (narrowing - few inches cut out of the middle) with Sierra diff a viable conversion seeing it'd mount on the Marina leaf springs.

Paul H

Comment

- the suspension top mount is simply a box with a hole for the bolt to pass through...
                DSCF3039.jpg
                it also acts as the point at which the seatbelt mounts. The flat panel between the suspension top mounts has holes for the diff cradle (made out of angle).
                DSCF3049.jpg

The axle itself is factory made with flanges to bolt on the sierra hub carriers and the driveshafts then pass into them. I think it would be possible to modify a tube axle in a similar way. The axle above in Pauls post looks a good solution if you can pick up the rear mounting points for the springs. Leaf springs suffer from tramp though so it might be best to use something to stop wind up? And a panhard rod -(you can just see it in the fourth pic in my previous post)
                Last edited by cameronfurnival; 31-01-14, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                  Hi Tony is that the Red Richard Harborne car with a V8??
                  Hi Ben, yes that's the one.

Comment

An excellent piece of machinery tempted to say "bet that fly's"

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                      An excellent piece of machinery tempted to say "bet that fly's"
                      Well, in my day job I get to fly some lovely vintage aeroplanes, the Marlin is the next best thing, and a little cheaper to operate!

Comment

Working...
                      X