Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Based Problems

Hi to all,

I'm new to the Club and have just purchased a 1984 Marlin. Its fitted with an A series of Marina descent although I have no idea of the age of the engine. I have a couple of mechanical problems to sort out which will hopefully have the car running really well again and hopefully the Forum contributors can help me here. Both the carb (an SU HS) and the distributor have pretty much had it.The Carb linkages are really worn, vacuum advance has been disconnected and plugged and when reconnected idle is 1500 to 200 rpm and impossible to adjust lower. With the vacuum outlet plugged and sealed rpm is unstable at 1200-1500. I'm pretty much blaming the Carb but am open to suggestions. Points are fine and static timing seems ok.

I contacted Burlen to ask about reconditioning the SU but they advise a 16 week lead time? Does anyone have a good one that is surplus to their requirements?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Scotty

Re: Marina Based Problems

Hi Scotty, I think I can help you out with a carb. What distributor do you have? If its the round domed cap its a 25D but the squared off flat top is a 45D - I have a spare 25 with electronic ignition set up.

Comment

I think Camerons offer is a good bet as long as the needle is correct, Although replacing the throttle spindle on yours would help considerably.

Its possible that the vacum was disconnected and plugged because it was allowing even more air into the system. This could point to the vacuum advance diaphragm leaking. The way to test it is to take the pipe off the carb end and the dizzy cap off then suck on the pipe and watch the base plate move as it should then put your tongue on the end off the pipe to seal it and the base plate should stay in the advanced position until you release the vacuum.

Also try giving the rota arm a wiggle to make sure the bob weights are free. A little oil down the middle may be needed.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If the Carbs are that worn the chances are that the distributor is in a similar state. The springs on the counterweights weaken with time as well as wear on a poorly lubricated bearing.

An alternative to Burlen is Carburettor exchange and try Distributor Doctor

Sounds like you may have a can of worms there and a gradual approach, eliminating each suspect component in turn. Good luck!

Comment

Have you tried clamping the pipe from the manifold to the servo, just in case the servo seals have gone and it is allowing air into the engine bypassing the carb, just a thought!

Comment

Try these guys. I have had good service from them in the past.

Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks Guys, What a response.
              The car is still over in the previous owner's (Tim) garage. I will possibly get over tomorrow to remove both units to hopefully identify exactly what I'm dealing with. Cameron, thanks for the offer. If either fit, I'll have them if I may?

I'll update soon. I've a couple of night shifts to do then a week off to get tinkering! Smashing.

Scotty

Comment

I just bought a Triumph 6 based car with start and running issues, all it took was time and patience (and a Powerspark module) and I have it running well now. Don't give up on the old parts too quickly.
                - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Scotty,
                  great to hear you have joined the club. My first marlin was A series, now upgraded to B series. There are a number of potential reasons for the failure to idle.
                  1. leakage around the throttle spindle. You could try sealing it with putty of some kind. This would not be a solution for driving it but if it did idle ok with the sealing in place you would know that refurbishing or replacing the carb would do it.
                  2. Ignition over advanced at idle. You could try retarding it by turning the distributor in the direction of rotation. My B series engine had this problem and introducing extra retard at low revs and closed throttle has it idling fine. As I have megajolt fitted this can be done with a laptop. You may need a new distributor.
                  3. The other suggestions for leaks in the induction system such as leaks in the brake servo line are worth checking too
                  The vacuum retard is mainly there to improve fuel consumption and doesn’t have much effect on performance. There are 2 systems, one has the vacuum fed to the distributor only at part of the throttle travel and the other has the vacuum fed all the time the distributors are different and if you have a mismatch you will have somewhat odd effects.

I have several old distributors and possibly some carburettors if you are ever passing this way
                  Cheers Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X