Needle Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle Numbers

Can anyone tell me what needles I have in my HS4 carbs. They are stamped ABA, I cant find any reference to them.
    Thanks
    Steve Lilley

Re: Needle Numbers

The Worlds Sole Manufacturer of Genuine SU Carburettors, Fuel Pumps and Spares.

they should offer a correct needle for what ever engine mods you have !!

Comment

ABA is a good needle number for the HS4 carb

click on HS4 carb.. on the top line

Comment

Thanks for your replies chaps. The reason I ask is I have just dyno tested my Roadster and it shows it is running lean from around 40mph. I am thinking of using a size 6 or 7 to enrich it. Any thoughts?
        Thanks.

Comment

Depends on state of tune.
          Fitting a K&N or other freeflow filter will usually mean a richer needle is required over standard to compensate for improved airflow...IIRC for an MGB-spec 18v engine running K&N with no other mods then AAA needles were a recommended upgrade.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks for that info, Will look at the spec of the AAAs. Engine is bog standard apart from Stubby stacks fitted which massively improved airflow.

Comment

AAA should be a good place to start - going much richer may throw up further problems. Check tappets are accurate too!

aaa1.jpg

Comment

Thanks Cameron, very informative graph.

Comment

I have scans of SU needle data, but not yet uploaded. I always found it interesting that a 1.3 mini used the same needles as a 1.8 TC!

Comment

I used to ring Burthem and they told me what to use !!

Comment

Thanks for the further info chaps, I have not heard of Burthem, could you post the phone number?

Comment

Burlen ltd
                        Spitfire House, Castle Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3SA

01722 412500
                        they will be able to tell you everything you need to know and probably more beside

Comment

I would have whoever did your rolling road fit the jets and retest - I had mine done and even after the operator rejetced it he took another hour of adjsutments to get the mixture righ over the whole rev range - it was not just fit and problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                          X