headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: headlight

To add to the confusion, the car is indeed LHD, but tracking back through previous posts, it's on a UK Q plate.
    Assuming the car once had a UK MOT, and as it has not, so far as I read, been through French matriculation, the headlights at the time of last MOT should have been UK spec RHD or possibly be LHD with stick-on deflectors fitted to correct the beam pattern to UK specification, much as we should do when driving a UK car abroad.
    If properly MOT'd by current standards it should pass with stick-on deflectors, but there should be an Advisory to change the headlamps.

For example I bought a fully Spanish Reg LHD car in the UK. All the paperwork was correct except the Spanish ITV (MOT) had expired. In order to drive the car through the UK to France and Spain, I had the car UK MOT'd with stick-on deflectors fitted, making the headlights legal in the UK. Immediately I got to France I removed the deflectors. Then immediately I entered Spain, I booked the car in for a Spanish ITV, at a testing station about 700km away, the nearest one to my Spanish home, just in case the Guardia were picky.
    Incidentally, as the car had been de-registered by the previous owner, it might be argued that as it was de-registered I should not have been able to have it ITV tested. Unsurprisingly it passed.
    It might be argued that a UK MOT is invalid in France and Spain, but many UK MOT'd vehicles travel through Europe, though legally they can only do so for six months. The MOT is a valid legal demonstration that the car is fit for use on the road, across Europe.

In fact when comparing both UK and Spanish (MOT/ITV) the UK one is head and shoulders above, many things like wipers and seat and seatbelt mountings are ignored in Spain, and it apparently legal to test with an undiagnosed engine management warning light on (though that might be luck as they do not look at the instrument cluster except to record mileage.

Comment

I think Millie’s headlights were brought from Europa Spares (http://www.europaspares.com). Made in the USA they do not dip to left or right just down. So, I think I can drive in France without deflectors. I always put a bit of tape over an appropriate area just to avoid any awkward questions.
      Paul

Comment

P
        Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
        I think Millie’s headlights were brought from Europa Spares (http://www.europaspares.com). Made in the USA they do not dip to left or right just down. So, I think I can drive in France without deflectors. I always put a bit of tape over an appropriate area just to avoid any awkward questions.
        Paul
        Taken and edited a little from the AA. Sorry about the spacing, it's the conversion process and way too laborious for a Sunday, (but now sorted).
        The legal requirement is to ‘not dazzle on coming drivers ’rather than specifically to adjust/convert the head lamp beam pattern. Without adjustment the dipped beam will dazzle oncoming drivers and this could result in a fine. Head lamp beam converter kits are widely available but may not be suitable for all types of headlights. The AA shop sell beam converters suitable for all vehicles and fitting diagrams are included for the latest ‘clear glass’, ‘projector and xenon’headlamps inside the packaging. In some countries it is compulsory to use dipped headlights at all times when driving during the day. Note: this adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles as the beam pattern is more symmetrical but check that any extra loading has not affected the beam height. On some cars it is inadvisable or impossible for anyone other than a qualified technician to change a headlamp bulb unit e.g. high intensity discharge(HID) headlamps and carrying spares is not an option. However, it is recommended that spare bulbs are carried for any lights that may be easily and/or safely replaced by the owner/driver. Spare bulbs are compulsory for Croatia.

The basic requirement across the UK and Europe is not to dazzle oncoming drivers, so US headlights that have a basic symmetrical pattern and not the asymmetric up swept to the near side headlights of both Europe and the UK, should be perfectly OK, but I am seeking confirmation from both French and Spanish American car clubs. I will edit this post when I have more info.

My case was a little different. Without an MOT, UK, French or Spanish equivalent, driving would have been illegal, the headlight deflectors were a side and very short term issue, as the authorities would be far more interested in general road worthiness than lighting.
        Having said that I often travelled through France and Europe in a Japanese imported car. The beam pattern was primarily generated by the headlights internal reflector, using a stick-on deflector was less than practical, but I kept a set in my glove box, just in case I was stopped by the authorities, at least I was prepared.
        That would be my advice to the casual traveller. The chances of you being detained are small, but given the language barriers explaining symmetric and asymmetric beam patterns would be difficult at best with a UK police officer, he would be interested in the National Plates on the car, but with the French Police National or Gendarmerie or the Spanish Guardia Civil or Policia Locale, it's best to be prepared, at least going through the motions so I agree with Paul's general advice.

Jean's (Kolmershlagjp) problem, including the language barrier, is somewhat different, as he will need to get the car through French Matriculation, the equivalent of IVA etc in France.

First edit. Cars imported from the U.S. with symmetrical headlight pattern (not all have) will pass both UK and Spanish requirements. Which suggests that they would be legal across Europe, without the use of deflectors, though I would still travel prepared.
        Second Edit. Got back to my laptop and with a full keyboard and mouse, not available in an iPad, have corrected spacing.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 07-03-16, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I have Wipac Quadoptic headlights which are assymetric. In the centre of the glass there is an arrow (next to the CE mark) which points to the left which is the side that the beam tips up and the left side of the road that we drive on in the UK. As far a I know the export ones have the arrow pointing the other way which will confirm that the beam will tip up to the right. Peter.

Comment

^ +1 exactly!!

Comment

Hello
              thank you all I have bought 2 LHD in vintage suplies
              I have just installed today
              thank you

Comment

Good. Glad you have a happy result.

Comment

As I can see the problem has already been solved. But I'm posting the promised pictures for the future seekers of LHD 7' lamps.
                  These are available at: http://shop.wesem.com/en just put 'skoda' or 'ikarus' into the search box.
                  They have English, German, Polish an Russian version. The prices are between 10 and 20 euro.

Regarding the US version - symmetrical lights will not pass the MOT in Poland.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X