No announcement yet.

Marina based front suspension work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina based front suspension work...

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Have a look back on the Supaflex website. Click on Home / Products / Universal. Then select the Universal shock absorber /ARB link pin
    (Link). There are several that look like yours? Failing that give them a call as I have always found them knowledgeable and helpful. Peter.
    Yes, unfortunately I tried exactly as you suggest and got the data sheet but when I try to match the actual dimensions of the situation there isn't one of these in the list that fits all of my situation. I think I'm being pushed to simply ignore the inner flange and try to get a thin (6.75mm' PU washer with the 15mm inner diameter - or maybe just saw in half the spare 2 that I got originally...

Comment

I have modified the Tie rods on my Roadster by cutting the ends off to leave 100mm each end. I don't have access to a lathe to do the mod the previous contributor did. A very neat job it was, but I wanted to retain the poly bushes so I welded 1/2" unf nuts to each end of a length of 25mm steel tube (250mm long) Tapped a thread to the cut off ends, both RH. Adjustment is easily made by turning poly bush end on its own. They seem to work very well.

Comment

It's right

Comment

If the 2 equal sized bushes will not fit I would strongly suggest you re-examine & re-fit the front suspension, following the build instructions carefully.
          On an otherwise standard Marina setup using the unequal-sized bushes could result in significant alteration of caster angle.
          I would suggest you measure the tie-rods to make sure they are the correct length (just in case - Morris Minor bars are similar but slightly shorter from the tip to flange).
          Marina dimensions are:-
          16" from thread tip to centre of rear bolt hole
          2 5/8" from thread tip to front of flange.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

When I built mine the bushes were as shown. Can't remember where I got them but they were poly and compressed up a fair bit before the washer and nut tightened up on the spacer tube.
            Eventually I replaced the whole setup with ball joints. both bushes were the same size.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by h_m_cumming; 27-03-16, 06:02 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Meant to add these Pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
                Meant to add these Pics
                What is impossible to tell from pics is whether the tie rod is in a relaxed position, i.e. With the tire off the ground, and whether the tie rod is at the design length.
                Certainly the Superflex bushes come in pairs. They should be supplied in "two pairs" so that both sides of a car can be modified equally.
                If you make adjustable tie rods, whatever the design, it is important that the lower 'split' suspension arm, from the eyebolt to the trunion, is slackened, to remove any residual tension, and then re-secured once the tie rod length and desired castor angle, has been determined.
                What is imperative is that both sides of the car should be the same, and that all the structural components are relaxed before making comparisons side to side.
                Unlike many modern cars. Marinas were designed with particular geometry in mind, and there was no designed adjustment. A Roadster is a different beast, but take care when making alternative design changes.
                It's worth emphasising that very few Morris Marina Owners Club members opt for adjustable tie rods. Is it just a Marlin thing?

Comment

Hi Steve, Thanks for your interesting and valued points. The intention was not to alter the geometry in any way. When I bought the car, the steering was terrible. It felt loose, knocked and rattled. I replaced a knackered steering rack and that helped considerably. But it still was not good. After a conversation with John Mulvany, he suggested I changed the tie rod bushes for the new Superflex ones. On removal of the old worn rubber ones, I noticed 2 x spacer washers on the near side one. I thought this was to take up the slack on the worn bush. But when I fitted the new superflex ones, there was still a small gap. when I measured the distance from each point, the near side was 3/16" longer than the off side. I replaced a spacer washer and all was well. Had the tracking and castor angle checked and were "normal" The adjustable ones are just to do away with the spacer. The geometry has not changed. I will however have it all checked again and try to get some accurate details. It drives really well and does not pull to one side.
                  Thanks again for your input Steve.

Comment

That's all good then.
                    I am currently working on a 'magnus opus' document, drawing information from many sources, with the intention of producing a full guide to Morris Marina and more specifically Marina Roadster front suspension, so I am always open to hearing how different issues have been resolved.

One thing that was suggested years ago, was that the Marlin Chassis jigs were not consistent. It is difficult to accurately quantify how that may impact on handling issues without detailed information.
                    Combine that with the original press stories of poorly handling Marinas, the vast majority of whose issues are no longer relevant as the lower trunnions (swivel pin lower link) have been re-designed and replaced over the past 40 years, and that the source of second hand parts, cannot be verified, to be 'as new', a classic example of which was a recent story of an accident damaged Steering/suspension upright (pin and stub shaft swivel) that was twisted and gave the impression of a steering rack that was too short.

It may be several months before it reaches publication.

Comment

Hi
                      I made new tie rods with a threaded end (no fixed washer ) so it is fully adjustable.
                      Then i fitted lock knuts front and back.
                      Works well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by paul S View Post
                        Hi
                        I made new tie rods with a threaded end (no fixed washer ) so it is fully adjustable.
                        Then i fitted lock knuts front and back.
                        Works well for me.
                        Do you have any pictures?

Adrian

Comment

Right... now then - I'm trying to fit the tie rod with the wheel & tyre on the ground & level - whereas perhaps as you suggest it should take both big bushes either side at the front thus 4 in all (which explains why there were 4 in the Superflex pkt when I bought them!). So - if I lift the wheel up so its not touching the ground at all and then try to fit the tie rods with 2 PU bushes it might fit easier. My Dad says the car used to drive true and straight and the front suspension was correct (he built is 13-14 yrs ago). I'll try this at the weekend when I get the time...

Comment

if you remove the bolt on the wishbone and the nut and washer on the end you should be able to tap it sideways and pull it out - check the wear on the tie bar where the bolt goes through and also the bolt to see if any wear.. to refit tighten the nut on the end to correct torque and it should be able to fit the end with a bit of force into the wishbone !!

Comment

Working...
                            X