No announcement yet.

Isle of wight ferry was expensive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isle of wight ferry was expensive...

Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
    I regularly cross the Solent in a Marlin. I can confirm that it is way too expensive. So I would appreciate some positive suggestions on how to attach floats, propellers, etc.
    Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
    I regularly cross the Solent in a Marlin. I can confirm that it is way too expensive. So I would appreciate some positive suggestions on how to attach floats, propellers, etc.
    Consider the following:

Weld plates under the engine bay to give a nominal V hull form forward. Weld a plate behind the rad, port the hoses through and seal the engine bay side vents and bonnet edges. Keep suspension components outboard as much as possible to minimise holes and seals. Exhaust should vent out the top of the engine bay. Fit electric bilge pumps in the engine bay and cockpit just in case (self contained 12V type). Seal doors, floor etc. Panel off and seal under the aft section. Fit cylindrical float bags under the running boards filled from nitrogen or CO2 canisters and route the valve relays to big red button with flippy up cover on the dash. Possibly also fit donut float bags (e.g. tractor inner tubes) around the front wheels to maintain a bow-up trim. Mod the diff to give a drive shaft out the back and either fit a screw directly or for simplified amphibious operation provide a PTO to waterjet drive mounted behind the seats (this might need to poke out a bit at the expense of the spare tyre). Waterjet inlets/outlets would not need so much ground clearance and the rotating screw might present issues at MOT time.

Launch from Lepe beach off the back of the coach park to the right of the lower car park entrance an hour or so before high water to provide a gradually sloped launch avoiding too many slippery rocks. Steer for the sailing club slipway at Gurnard but be prepared to alter course to port to allow for the ebb tide increasing mid channel. Don't overdo it as you need to stay West of the ferries and the dogleg in the shipping channel rounding Bramble bank.

Not recommended in anything over a force three as the chop caused by the prevailing Westerly over the ebbing tide is unkind to craft with limited freeboard.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Buy a small landing craft for the crossing Lepe to Gurnard and undercut the ferries. Bite the bullet get a second Marlin and travel as a foot passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by happyferret View Post
        ...so we decided to drive over. Keep the speed up and a flat hull should plane, right?
        Just put the hood up, and make sure the side screens are zipped up tight, you'll be fine...

Comment

Working...
        X