Newbie in need of help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in need of help!!!

Hi, can anyone tell me what axle I can use to replace the marina/ital rear axle on my roadster so I can change from drum to disc brakes. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Davy

Re: Newbie in need of help!!!

I suggest that your first port of call should be here or there. The Marina/Ital axle is essentially Triumph derived, consequently it is not a weak link unless you plan a significant engine change.

Your first challenge when swapping the axle is that the Marina PCD is only shared with 1970's small Triumphs, the MGF, and a very few other cars.
    Changing the PCD of the rear axle by going Ford etc will mean that the PCD will change, and unless you can find a set of front hubs to match your different rear axle, you will end up with two spare wheels, one for the front and one for the rear. Not very practical!

It is possible fit MGF discs to a Marina axle, but new caliper brackets need to be fabricated.

An alternative is to find a Triumph Dolomite Sprint axle, which as standard had drum brakes, but the same Marina PCD, which is much easier to convert to disc brakes, due to its design, but you will still need to fabricate new caliper brackets.

As mentioned earlier, the Roadster is much lighter than an Ital, the brakes on a Roadster are therefore already over engineered. The risk of only fitting rear disks, is that the brake balance may be biased too far rearwards resulting in a car that is likely to swap ends, just at the moment you need to be in control.

I am not sure why you would want to change to rear disc brakes so soon after owning the car. It suggests to me that there is some underlying issue that needs addressing first.

Comment

Hi Davy, welcome! There is no real need to change from rear drums to discs on the roadster, just make sure everything is set up correctly. The amount of braking done by the rears is minimal and on a roadster the ital/marina drums are perfectly adequate. What engine are you using?

Comment

Unless you are planning to race/rally the Marlin then even with a 1300cc engine due to the low weight the power to ratio weight is very good and the handling is excellant for normal road use..

Comment

Hi guys, sorry I probablyshould have explained better. I have just bought the car, when I took the back wheels off there was no drums, shoes or cylinders and being a total novice I can't find the parts I need to renew everything.
          I need, to try and source everything to put it all back together.

Comment

Hi Davy, Best thing to do first would be to post a picture of the back plate so to identyfy if you have manual adjuster type or auto adjuster, the shoes and wheel cylinders will be different depending on the adjustment system. Then we can make up a list of what you need.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Davy, where in UK are you ?

Which Roadster have you bought ? Some pics would be useful.

As per Ben's comments above, I'm sure that between us all we can find you the bits you need once we know more about the car
              Rgds DC

Comment

Clarity is a wonderful thing.

Have a look at the parts list here or there to work out what you need.
                A word with the guys at FastMarina would not go amiss.

Many of the parts are shared with the Triumph Dolomite and other small Triumphs. Try here or there for off the shelf new or recon parts. Typing in Marina part numbers should direct you to Triumph numbers, that are often identical parts from the same bin.

Other Triumph parts suppliers are available.

Photos would help but the parts lists should be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by davy66 View Post
                  Hi guys, sorry I probablyshould have explained better. I have just bought the car, when I took the back wheels off there was no drums, shoes or cylinders and being a total novice I can't find the parts I need to renew everything.
                  I need, to try and source everything to put it all back together.
                  Before you jump and spend 10's if not hundreds on the parts you need look here.

He is breaking so once you know what you need give him a bell.

It might be worth purchasing the whole rear end or even the car and make some money out of the parts.

Adrian

Comment

How do you add pictures I'm new to this and never tried to post a picture before

Comment

Have we established whether this is a 1.3 or a 1.7 Ital donor? The axle ratio is different for each.

There is also a question of whether the axle that Davy has, was fitted with manual or auto adjusters, the backplates, presumably still attached to the axle, otherwise the half shafts would have wandered out, are different as are some of the parts. The parts lists show the fundamental difference.

I am now wondering what Davy has bought, was it was ever MOT'd and correctly registered?

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Have we established whether this is a 1.3 or a 1.7 Ital donor? The axle ratio is different for each.

There is also a question of whether the axle that Davy has, was fitted with manual or auto adjusters, the backplates, presumably still attached to the axle, otherwise the half shafts would have wandered out, are different as are some of the parts. The parts lists show the fundamental difference.

I am now wondering what Davy has bought, was it was ever MOT'd and correctly registered?
                        Hence my statement about once he knows what he needs.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                          Clarity is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Davy, to add pix : First hit "Reply" and put in a word or two of text, then "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments" then "Browse" and having found a pic hit "Upload", repeat if more pix, then hit "Submit Reply"

Rgds DC

Comment

The car was built and registered in 1984 and MOT'd, it was MOT'd every year till 1998 and then I presume off the road. Now if I can get the right parts for it I am hopefully going to put it back on the road.
                              Engine and gearbox seam ok but I really can't go any further until I get the part I need for the brakes. From what information I have it's a Marlin roadster 1984, donar car marina 1.8 rear axle, I think the front end is from the marina as well. Engine is the 1.8 block from the marina bored out to +20 with an mgb twin carb head.
                              I have loaded a couple of pictures of what was there when I took the back wheel off. If anyone can tell from the pictures what type I need to rebuild it, it would be much appreciate.
                              Parts Required;
                              Drums x 2 & drum retaining screws.
                              Shoes set & shoe spring kit
                              Cylinders x 2
                              Handbrake cable
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by davy66; 27-05-16, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X