engine removal 1800 YKC roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: engine removal 1800 YKC roadster

Check out Pitstop mag Issue 196 Page 8, I Wrote an article whilst removing/Tilting a Rover V8 from a YKC didn't remove the Rad The Next issue has the rest of the saga
    The first part is about tilting the engine to remove the gearbox but the second part takes the engine right out, however I have a pit which makes it easy but the advise about dropping on to "an as low as possible dolly" is good, then use a hoist to raise the car body.
    PS as others have said make sure you disconnect all the pipes. I have an oil pressure pipe that's 6 foot long since dropping into the pit. Hinged/removable side panels is a great idea as well

IMG_1826.JPG
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Gearbox could also have been Triumph 1850. That is what I put in my Roadster. The only mods that I needed to do was to swap the bell housing over and to shorten the prop shaft. No need to change the first motion shaft.
      Definitely agree with everyone on this thread- drop the engine and gearbox together onto a dolly and then lift the car with hoist and pull the engine and gearbox forwards.

Comment

i have some wooden 2x12 12inch high drive on ramps that i will drive the car up on to and then lower motor to the ground.
        Thanks again great information
        Michael the Canadian roadster owner

Comment

Originally posted by keith_h View Post
          I have no knowledge of the 1800 (My engine and gearbox is from a 2.0 Sierra) but if I were going to take my engine out I would give serious consideration to modifying the engine bay side panels so that they can be removed in the future without having to virtually dismantle the car. There is very little room to access the engine as it is but with removeable side panels it becomes very much easier. Is that the case with the 1800?
          I have not yet started but Think I will try to find a supplier of "rivnuts and make the side panels a bit easier to remove .Rivnuts are rare here so I will probably get them from the UK

Comment

Working...
          X