Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk2 wing stays

Hi all

Once again I am trying to fit the inner wings.

Below is a picture of my wing stays.

There appears to be a couple of versions and mine required you to fix the top to the damper and then line up the wings stays so they were horizontal and then drill hole and bolt through at the bottom.

My question is, did the stays come with the top hole pre-drilled so the siting and drilling of the lower hole would be a doddle.

Or did you have to drill both holes?

The reason I am asking is that I am coming to the conclusion that the stays are set to high.

Hopefully someone can delve into their memory banks and answer the question.

Adrian

20160423_132315.jpg

Re: Mk2 wing stays

I maybe wrong but I recall having got drill them. Many hours of twiddling with packing and a level before the final decision though!
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hiya

I am now questioning every thing.

Laying the inner wing lightly in place and tucking it under the outer wing you can see from the picture that the top of the cut out leans on the top of the suspension arm.

Any movement up and down means the suspension pushes the inner wing up.

I am now officially frustrated.

Two weeks and still no further on.

Adrian

20160423_153547.jpg
      Last edited by listerjp2; 23-04-16, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Who made the cut out? Factory, you?

You can enlarge it as long as the fibreglass cover still covers the hole.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Yep that's my quandary, it was a factory supplied wing with cut out.

Came with kit.

Someone must know a trick or two to get the buggers to fit.

I have tried to cut the other wing and have ended up with a friend of mine (metal micky) welding it back to how it was supplied as the cover wasn't big enough to cover hole.

Oh well, have had enough for today, so pack up and re-think.

Adrian

Comment

Not seen that type before. Interested to see a side on pic to look at the damper bolt area.

Each Marina Roadster I've worked on has the struts that attach only on to the two bolts below the top suspension bolt, see pic of Q67 (black) and Q249(green).

Q249 is 21477, your MHG I believe is 21427 so they are not too far apart by kit manufacture date, Q67 is 21027.

Rgds DC
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dcunn; 23-04-16, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hiya

Below is the more modern instructions like the ones in your pictures.

1461435627368-1070968124.jpg

And below from the original instructions from my manual

14614357857162069762729.jpg

Adrian
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't think you're far out. It's very close to the top wishbone on mine so close in fact that it must hit occasionally because the top of the hole in the inner wing is bent up a bit.

Don't forget that the inner wing will bend up in the middle when the front is clamped to the bottom of the nose cone where you seem to have quite a gap in your picture.
                Last edited by andyf; 23-04-16, 06:41 PM.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Do you think I should bolt the inner wing to the outer before I bolt to the body?

Adrian

Comment

I had the later(?) stays but as I said up-thread it was hell's own game to make the wings fit.
                    As well as having to relieve the outer wing adjacent to the A post the stays needed cranking to a) get a decent alignment with the outer wing and b) reduce the height. And I still ended up slotting the holes to achieve the final fit.
                    As for the first 2 holes being the same as the bonnet side - forget it. First one yes, but the 2nd was out by 1", enough to justify it's own hole
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hope you have checked the for and aft play of the Mini top wishbone as per my notes in Pitstop. Much easier to play around with spacers etc when you have access from above.
                      If an MOT inspector spots it, it might be a fail or at least an advisory.

Comment

Well, you learn something new every day, I'd never noticed it !
                        I've just looked at the build manuals I remastered some years ago and the early one has this page - note how it tells you to attach the wing :
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dcunn; 23-04-16, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Will try tomorrow and let you know.

Adrian

Comment

The top hole was predrilled on mine for the hybrid, after hours of struggling I finally decided to re-drill them in position to fit. Later when I mentioned this to PM he said "OH yes they were drilled incorrectly. Best bet is to get the chassis level across the car then set up the wings on blocks on top of the wheels and use a long straight edge across the wing tops with the level to ensure the tops of the wings are also level. Then offer up the brackets to suit.
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I remember having a real job with the wings trying to fit them as per the factory idea - inner first then wing to inner - so I fitted wing to inner then to the car !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X